Gas Dehydration with Bead Molecular Sieves
Industrial produced natural gases are passed through a system that contains adsorbents that will reduce the water content to the barest minimum.
Zeolites are compounds of alumino-silicates. It is the efficient for gas dehydration. It has two types, the Pellets and Beads. The beads are the most effective because it reduces the water content in the gas up to 0.1ppm.
Why we prefer Beads to Pellets
Thermal Swing Application:
• Beads have higher density
• Lower Delta P/L at the same flow rate with pellets
• Equal or better mass transfer rate
• Allow high flow rate or smaller columns
• Less volume and bed height
• Debottleneck existing units
Pressure swing application:
• Less void spaces than pellets
• Tighter and more homogeneous packing
• Allows for higher recovery rates
• Column of beads have less volume and weight
• Better attrition resistance against fast pressure changes
Field Application of Beads Absorbents
A. PROCESS INDUSTRY APPLICATION
Natural Gas Processing
- Dehydration of natural gas and natural gas and natural gas liquids such as propane and butane.
- Removal of CO2, H2S, mercaptans and other impurities from natural gas or natural gas liquids.
Hydrogen Production or Recovery.
- Drying and purification of H2 using either thermal swing or pressure swing adsorption.
Basic Petrochemical and Synthesis Gas Processes
- Purification of natural gas feed.
- Drying and purification of the reformer gas prior to the ammonia loop.
- Treating of ammonia off-gas streams.
- Olefin and polyolefin production.
- Drying of cracked olefin gas, ethylene and polyolefin products.
- Dehydration and purification of ethane feed to the craker.
- Impurity removal from polyolefin plant feed (catalyst protection from oxygenates, sulfides).
- Dehydration and CO2 removal from air for cryogenic processing.
- Separation of high-purity oxygen from air via Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) or Vacuum Swing Adsorption (VSA).
- Recovery of inert gases by adsorption.
- Dehydration of light-ends (e.g. olefin) for cryogenic recovery.
- Purification of feed to catalytic processes such as isomerization and alkylation units.
- Underground cavern drying and treating.
- Storage tank breathers.
- Product recovery from vent.
Fuel Ethanol Production
- Bulk water removal at the azeotrope.
- Purification at food and pharmaceutical- grade ethanol.
- Drying of Solvents.
- Purification of feed streams to catalytic processes such as for ethyl benzene.
B. INDUSTRIAL APPLICATION
- Prevention of condensation in the insulating glass space of windows.
- Dehydration and trace contamination removal in enclosed spaces.
- Removal of odors.
Pollution and VOC Control
- Containment and concentration of solvent vapors.
- Removal of water of reaction in urethane formations.
- Cell size control in blow foams.
- Plastic pellet driers prior to blow or injection-molding.
System Protection Devices
- Dehydration and Filtration of refrigerant loops.
- Dehydration and purification of compressed breathing air.
- Dehydration of compressed air for pneumatic tools.
- Truck and railroad air brake driers.
- Oxygen concentrator for respiratory therapy.
As you plan to dehydrate your gases, think about the values of beads over Pellets. Think about Mountleigh.